A: Alkalize the Body & Adrenal Support
B: Bowels & Gut Microbiome
C: Cleanse the Liver
Key factors of the ABC’s
(For the most gentle detox results for sensitive individuals, approach the ABC’s in order, one-at-a-time & take YOUR time)
1. To effectively alkalize your blood you need MINERALS; eat a rainbow of colour on your plate daily including a variety of farm-fresh fruits & vegetables. Scientists now recommend 7-13, 1-cup servings daily to prevent Cancer and cardiovascular disease. The pH of healthy blood is 6.8 – 7, there are a few ways to test yourself to see if you are in fact in a pH balance; when you are in balance it means that your liver is releasing enough minerals to buffer the acidic foods, stress and other chemical toxins to maintain health. In an acidic condition, disease will thrive such as, heart burn, indigestion, IBS, autoimmune conditions, arthritis, bloating, Cancer, heart disease, etc.
The best concentrated forms of alkalizing foods are raw juice, sprouts, fermented vegetables, lemon water, spring water, chlorophyll, spirulina, sea weed, wild green herbs or weeds & wheat grass shots. *Juice Plus+ has the most research for reducing inflammation which will alkalize the body quickly. It is a concentrated cold-pressed juice, dried into powder with the sugar removed & pulp, seeds, peels, & fibre intact! *Juice Plus+ will optimally replace a multivitamin and offer much more antioxidant and anti-inflammatory protection.
2. The adrenal glands are basically nerve bundles and nerves need MINERALS to thrive (see alkalize above!), they also love Adaptogenic herbs, healthy fats including fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, K & CoQ10 (grass-fed butter, coconut oil, liver, desiccated liver pills & cod liver oil), Vitamin C, B-Vitamins, rest, enough sleep, meditation, restorative yoga, spinal health, good posture, breathing, positive thoughts and loving affirmations.
3. Healthy bowels & gut microbiome has many levels to achieve thriving health and limit disease:
-Alkalize the gut environment (this again!)
-Probiotics & prebiotics: fermented foods & drinks, dirt, root vegetables, polyphenols, no antibiotics and reduce chemical toxins.
-Fiber: flax seeds, chia seeds, vegetables, fruit, herbs, clay, diatomaceous earth, and dirt.
-Hydration: Minerals (more whole foods), magnesium, spring water, green leafy vegetables, cucumber, watermelon, herbal tea, drink ENOUGH clean water (3- 4 litres daily including tea).
-Grounded eating habits: calm down before you eat, breath-work & prayer before food, meditation practice. Eating your meals on a daily rhythm: the circadian system in the brain thrives on this, or else inflammation will occur and confusion in cell communication causing over-eating.
-Reduced stress: the bowels have a complex nervous system wrapped around them and stress also increases inflammation which will create an imbalance in good vs. bad bacteria. When the bad bacteria thrive they send negative messages to the brain to make unhealthy choices.
For information about my 8 Weeks to Gut Wellness program, click here!
4. Cleanse the liver with bitter herbs & food such as lettuce, spring dandelion greens, stems and flowers in the back yard & arugula.
-Milk Thistle, Schizandra, Dandelion and Chamomile are my favorite herbs for effective liver detoxification.
-*The Liver & Gallbladder Flush (olive oil & lemon juice) is the most effective way to clear the liver (try it before gallbladder surgery). The Herbal Mama has a guide and detox kit available.
-Root vegetables & herbs help to support and build the liver cells. Dandelion root, burdock root & beetroot are some of the best. Bitter tasting vegetables & herbs literally help to release liver toxins and gall stones!
-Reducing stress, fried & packaged foods, hydrogenated oils, margarine, eat only organic & grass-fed animal products including butter.
-Reduce animal protein! Protein is difficult for the liver to process, especialy animal protein. In Asian cultures where their diet is higher in fat and plant foods while being low in protein, thrive far better than Western cultures low-fat and high protein diets, with little diversity in plant food.
The liver is the fat factory of the body, when it is functioning properly it will help to harness fat metabolism which will allow the body to start using fat for energy, burning up fat stores quickly. This will also help to assist the absorption of fat soluble vitamins: so important for adrenal health as mentioned above.
Leading into INTERMITTENT FASTING! This is my favourite way to burn fat fast, to live a long life, and to feel amazing too! I totally recommend just jumping in to this as long as you are not showing any symptoms such as:
-Diabetes, glucose intolerance, autoimmune conditions, nausea, fat intolerances, uncontrollable cravings and binge eating.
All those symptoms are a sign that you need to start at the beginning of the ABCs of detox and be your own health detective to sort it all out, also finding a health practitioner that can guide you will be a benefit. You will notice these as side-effects from intermittent fasting if you are unsure you have those symptoms listed above. Basically you will be cranky because you will feel hungry, so don’t push it and just start eating regular meals, find your daily rhythm with food, DON’T SKIP MEALS unless you are intentionally doing the intermittent fasting program which is very simple =
~Don’t eat processed & packaged foods, fried foods, trans fats, margarine, chips, crackers
~EAT grass-fed animal products, only natural sweetness in moderation such as honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, stevia, and fruits.
Eat Fat, Lose Fat recommends consuming 4-6 Tbsp. of coconut oil daily! You can integrate that by adding 1-2 Tbsp. to smoothies, your coffee or coffee substitute in the morning (Dandy Blend- great prebiotic), on sprouted or sourdough toast, in soups. You also want to take a cod liver oil supplement to get your fat soluble vitamins into balance.
The Bulletproof diet recommends adding Brain Octane oil, a highly concentrated coconut oil with MCTs that give your body ketones to convert into a fat fuelled metabolism (fat burning). Download the Bulletproof roadmap or read it here.
The Green Smoothie Challenge incorporates the Shred10, 10 day detox program & the Bulletproof intermittent fasting (start at beginner level), the Eat Fat, Lose Fat concepts, and The Herbal Mama green foods & micro biome diet additions as well.
–Start your day off with a bulletproof coffee THIS IS YOUR FIRST SMOOTHIE (recipe: add 1 tbsp. of coconut oil and 1 tbsp of grass fed butter with hot coffee and blend) using the Dandy Blend coffee replacement instead if you need a break from coffee. Dandy Blend feeds the gut micro biome so is an excellent bowel buddy 😉 Add: Complete Juice Plus+ vegan protein blend (contains 14 “greens”), collagen powder, spirulina, glucomannan (PGX) and cinnamon powder if you like.
You will also be taking 30 fruits & veggies in your Juice Plus+ capsules now! (Approx. 5 servings of a diversity of plant foods).
Then try to “fast” until 1 or 2pm having no snacks, a 6 hour fasting window is the minimal goal (9 hours max), if you get hungry have some fatty snacks on hand such as trail mix where the nuts have been soaked in salt water for 6-12 hours and roasted at a low temperature until crispy, or raw organic cheese & an apple, or veggies and cashew cheese or hummus (home made is best).
-Have a fatty green smoothie for lunch. I recommend adding brain octane oil to the Juice Plus+ Complete vegan protein blend. I will add more spirulina powder or add a handful of leafy greens and an avocado if I have access to my Vitamix blender (coconut oil if there is no Brain Octane oil handy). It is recommended to chew your smoothie and roll it around in your mouth a bit… Maybe chew on some lettuce and avocado along with it to be sure you are chewing, or a few crispy nuts (Don’t over eat your nuts!)
-For supper you will want to eat a healthy balanced meal, very little starchy carbs, some prebiotic root veggies, some grass-fed animal protein or sprouted veggie protein, high amount of healthy fats, and high in greens and coloured veggies. No fast food, no gluten, no dairy: except raw, grass-fed cheese and milk kefir or full-fat organic grass-fed yogurt; making saturated fats a priority in your meal, animal foods need to be grass-fed or there will be toxins present which are acidic and will shut down all cell metabolism! The Bulletproof diet roadmap has all the optimal food choices listed! Sprouted beans, legumes and soured grains are also acceptable; according to Nourishing Traditions they will alklanize and neutralize phytic acid.
No eating past 8pm. Traditional intermittent fasting is during the night for a 12 hour window, until 8am where you will have breakfast. Bulletproof upgrades this traditional fast with his bulletproof coffee to fast another 6 hours, for a total fasting time of 18 hours, where you eat only alkaline foods until supper save the root veggies until then. Read the roadmap, that is one way to do it.
The Shred10 program itself has 2 cookbooks that will help you to find more inspiration to cook tasty plant-based meals. There is also many smoothie recipes to choose from (add “greens”).
If you are interested in starting any of these programs contact Elaine Doucette Cl.H with The Herbal Mama. You can also follow along on Facebook and Instagram to find out about the latest group programs online and locally in Edmonton, AB. Contact me here.
Alkalinity & Antioxidants: “Several Indicators of Oxidative Stress, Immunity, and Illness Improved, Consuming an Encapsulated (Juice Plus+) for 28 Weeks”, Institute of Physiological Chemistry, 2007
Insulin Resistance, Obesity: “Reduction in adiposity in conjunction with an improvement in insulin resistance”, The Journal of Pediatrics, 2012
Fitness: “Juice Plus+ can attenuate blood oxidative stress markers induced by eccentric exercise. The glutathione ratio was elevated immediately post exercise in both groups”, Medical Science in Sports & Exercise, 2011
Teeth: “Daily supplementation with encapsulated (Juice Plus+) attributed to reducing levels of oxidative stress secondary to the resolution of periodontal inflammation” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, 2012
Skin: “Juice Plus+ helps improve skin hydration, skin thickness, and circulation in skin capillaries” University of Witten-Herdecke, Germany, 2012
The Liver & Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse, Andreas Moritz, 2007
Healing with Whole Foods, Paul Pitchfork, 2002
Eat Fat, Lose Fat, Sally Fallon & Dr. Mary Enig (International expert on fats), 2006
The Bulletproof Diet, Dave Asprey
Nourishing Traditions, Sally Fallon, Weston A. Price Foundation 1945-present
Blog Article 2009:
The Nature of Flower Essences & Homeopathic Medicine
Flower essence remedies and homeopathic medicines are incredibly similar in action. They are non-toxic, subtle and powerful herbal dilutions that can be used safely by any human, animal or plant at any stage of life to promote balance and well-being.
Like homeopathic medicine, flower essences are vibrational in nature. They are diluted forms of herbal substances that contain the specific energy patterns of each flower or plant. The impact of healing is not a bio-chemical influence on the body; instead they work on the human electrical energy fields which influence mental, emotional and physical healing.
The key difference can be summarized as follows; flower essences work with the emotions, thoughts and behavioral patterns to allow a balanced state of mental and physical well-being. Homeopathics work conjunct with physical and mental symptoms to alleviate acute to chronic conditions. They guide the body to a homeostasis expression by emphasizing inherit natural wisdom in how to respond to disruptive environments, re-creating a healthy balanced state.
- The method of healing: Flower essences’ influence of action is compared to the emotional effects of hearing an inspiring song, or standing on top of a mountain to see the beauty of earth. Light and sound waves provoke feelings which indirectly affect our breathing as well as many other physical states in the body. The resonance of the song is like the resonance of the flower essence influencing our senses and emotions. Flower essences are used for immediate relief from emotional trauma and stress to produce deep physical healing. Homeopathics will have a very similar action on a resonant level in treating physical ailments. The theory ‘Like cures like’ is the basis of homeopathic medicine and states simply that similar natured elements can reverse each other. For example in a whole physical form coffee will affect a person by stimulating the adrenals and nervous system making a person edgy and alert. The homeopathic dilution of coffee (coffea cruda) can alleviate similar hyper-nervous symptoms such as anxiety and/or nervous insomnia. Homeopathics can be used for immediate relief in acute conditions and used for a longer duration to heal chronic physical ailments.
- The form in which they are extracted: Flower essences are flowers infused from the sun in a crystal bowl of pristine water. The mother essence forms as a concentrated layer of flower blossom water which rests on the top. This is collected then diluted, shaken with intention and preserved with brandy to provide the final healing blend. Environmental conditions are considered from the state of mind of the medicine maker to the biodynamics of the plants. Homeopathics are made initially as herbal tinctures. The mother tincture is made with alcohol and diluted at a 1:10 ratio with water and shaken or “succussed” for every step of dilution. The more diluted the more vibrational in nature promoting deeper cellular healing. The term “CH” that you see on the remedies states the number of 1:100 ratio dilution series.
- The method of use: Flower essences are most commonly used orally from a dropper bottle or spray, under the tongue or in a bit of water. Consistency is very important. The potency is increased by the frequency of dose. Up to four times daily and over a 28 day cycle or longer. Sensitive individuals can typically use less. The best time for taking essences is the first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Planting the seed around the subconscious dream state is important for shifting behaviours and patterns. Homeopathic medicine is most commonly used orally in drops or pellets under the tongue or in a small amount of water. Again it is important to treat acute symptoms with a small dose every 20 minutes for a total of 6 doses to get results. To treat more chronic issues, the dose needs to be consistently taken every day, 2-4 times daily for a 28 day cycle or longer depending on how long the issues have been lingering.
What is the Essence of a flower? Essence is defined in the dictionary as: “the most important ingredient; the crucial element” or “the indispensable property that defines something”. The Flower Essence Society textbook states, “flower essences are highly effective and non-toxic herbal preparations that address core issues of wellness-especially emotions, stress, mental attitudes, spiritual attitudes and life values.” Flower essence therapy is nature’s psychotherapy: The intention to heal combined with a flower essence remedy can give the body and mind wisdom to assist in spiritual growth and physical well-being. If you can change your mind, you may change your life.